Time and time again I browse my clients’ websites and find that there is a great deal of room for improvement. We, as an industry, are underestimating the power of the Internet and that begins with our websites.
When is the last time you put on your potential customer’s shoes and took a walk round your website? Here are some questions you should ask yourself:
- Is the website clean and attractive?
- Is the website organized in a way that makes sense?
- Is the information a customer is looking for easy to find?
- Is there enough information about products and services to make the customer feel confident in making a purchase?
All too often, I find that aestheticians are not valuing the importance of their website and just how vital it is for their business. This starts with not including enough information about their products and services on their websites. Often, there isn’t even an image or any advertising or marketing included. I find this missed opportunity quite shocking. Potential customers are literally slipping through your fingers because your website is poor.
Often, the reason is because you don’t want to spend the money or time to improve your website, but by not having a good website you are losing business. Your website is your window display to the cyber-world. It’s your first impression, and it needs to be a good one.
Consider these statistics & facts:
- 90% of all purchases begin on the internet
- Buyers are 54% of the way through the buying cycle before they ever engage with a sales person
- 78% of people trust opinions they read online
- Customers look at most websites on their phones or tablets so your website must be new enough that it’s been optimized for mobile devices
A good website is your most powerful prospecting tool. It has the ability to attract and create customers and to make them care about your business. It’s also your most powerful branding tool. Include dynamic, personalized content and comprehensive information that includes these pages:
- About – some sort of page that introduces you. A personal touch is important.
- Products & Services – include photographs and descriptions. This is what people care about the most or they wouldn’t be visiting your site in the first place!
- Contact – an easy to find contact page, and it’s a good idea to link to this page and include your contact information frequently around the website.
- Other pages like a Testimonials page, or an online booking system are also an excellent bonus.
They say that you have 7 seconds to make the right impression on your website to engage and keep customers so that they’ll “stay” and have a look around. That first impression is critical. Also, 40% of people will abandon a web page if it takes more than three seconds to load. Your website needs to be attractive and inviting, as well as easy to use and organized in way that makes sense.
You also need a good website that’s optimized for search engines (SEO) so that customers can find you in the first place. A website that isn’t searchable in Google is like a store down a back alley with no sign. A good website will bring people to visit from search engines and from referrals of all kinds.
Don’t estimate the power of a good website and the impact it can have on your aesthetics business. Get your website working for you. It might be the single best thing you could do for your business.
I work with an amazing company that provides website design, marketing materials and more – if you are would like to learn more about their services, you can contact me via my newsletter sign-up or contact me form on my website.